Swift Rallycross Championships

Swift Rallycross Championships

Bean Back on Top After Pembrey

There was no let-up in the intensity of the Junior Swift Rallycross Championship as the teams and drivers made the annual trip to Pembrey in South Wales on Sunday.


With the long summer break, Drew Bellerby was confident after her previous win at Knockhill.  Currently heading the championship and with a new sponsor, Fuchs Lubricants she would be out there to impress.  After retiring from round two in Scotland, Yorkshire’s Charlie Bean was more revved up than ever, keen to get back on the pace to claw back vital points to get back up the points table.


Charlie Bean takes the Win


Starting their first season in Rallycross, Jake Taylor and Jennie Hawkes both showed an increase of pace at the previous round and were keen to improve on that this time out. 


For Taylor the dream of his first win was short-lived when a spin in practice left him in a cloud of dust, unsighted by Bean following, both cars came to a halt resulting in front end damage to both.


Bean’s shortened practice did not phase him as he returned for the first heat and took the win ahead of Bellerby and the ever-improving Jennie Hawkes. 


Taylor’s car took heavy impact and where there were doubts he would be able to rejoin the days on track adventures, the Swift Family came together and the start of heat two was made.  Critical for Taylor to now get a finish in the two remaining heats to be eligible for the final, nursing the secondhand swift to the line was top priority.  


In heat two, a controversial move by Bellerby up the inside of Bean into the first corner saw the championship leader take victory while Taylor and Hawkes battled for third. 


The two front runners traded places again in heat three, Bean winning from Bellerby to claim pole position for the final. Taylor’s car was holding out to put him third on the outside of the front row and Hawkes’ improving lap times meant she too was in contention for another podium.


As the lights changed for the final the Swift Juniors charged off but as the field headed into the first corner, Hawkes made heavy contact with the end of the pit wall. The car suffered extensive front end damage and lay stricken in the middle of the track leaving the officials no choice but the bring out the red flags and stop the race.


Thankfully unhurt, Hawkes was now a spectator as the race was restarted and the three remaining Junior Swifts were as one exiting the first corner.


Bean had the advantage over Bellerby as Taylor was giving it his all to remain in contention with his opponents. As the race progressed, Bellerby kept the pressure on.  Remaining calm Bean kept his nerves to romp home to his second victory of the season, and to reclaim top spot at the head of the standings.


With only two points now separating Bean and Bellerby in the championship standings it’s all to play for as the Junior Swifts return to Lydden Hill on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Blog Stats

  • Total posts(91)
  • Total comments(0)

Forgot your password?